Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A look at Voter ID Laws

The left keeps telling us that passing laws requiring photo ID at the poll is voter disenfranchisement. The informed, and those who don't fear being called racist, know why the Democratic party is against these laws. In many areas they depend on the illegal alien vote in order to get elected. Some in the party of favors often pushes for laws that allow non-Americans to vote.
Only people in this country illegally fear getting an ID
Judges and the Justice Department have either struck down or challenged voter ID laws in states like Wisconsin, Texas, South Carolina, and others. As long as we have a democrat controlling the executive branch states will face strong opposition to such laws.

Since democrats feel such laws prevent Americans from expressing certain rights, I thought we should take a look at laws, which democrats often support and enacted, to see which rights Americans without proper ID lose.

Here is a small list I compiled.

Driver's license
Buy alcohol
Buy cigarettes
Apply for welfare
Apply for food stamps
Cash a check
Purchase a firearm
Buy ammunition
Make any large credit card purchase
Open a bank account
Get a marriage license
The ability to buy certain prescription medicines
Adopt a pet(some states)
Get Medicaid
Return items to a store (Usually if you request cash in return)
Write a personal check
Purchase car insurance
To get on a military base (even a museum on a base)
On occasion to board an airplane
Rent an apartment
Be admitted to a hospital

I am sure given enough time we could fill this page with things American's can't do without photo ID. Voting is a sacred part of being an American. It is a responsibility to make sure only qualified Americans can vote. I do find it sad that we must pass voter ID laws. But with 20 million people in this country illegally, we can't afford not to pass these laws.

Florence Hessing, Bayfield, Wis.
At age 96, Florence Hessing is disabled, rarely leaves her home and votes by absentee ballot. She has a driver's license that expired a few years ago. She wrote to the state asking the requirements for obtaining a new photo ID under the state's recently enacted voter ID law. The response she received outlined the requirements and included a $28 fee — which angered Hessing because she expected the ID to be free.
Hessing first had to come up with a birth certificate. She wrote to Iowa, where she was born, but the state had no official record.
"I think that's a shift if I can't vote," Hessing said in an interview. "It'd feel like I was thrown out."

In South Carolina, where I live, there is also a fee for getting a copy of your birth certificate. If Miss Hessing can't afford the photo ID, she won't be able to afford a birth certificate. I hope the lady never has a need to leave the country because without a birth certificate she can't get a passport. I feel for the woman, but people face these problems everyday. Should we risk American policy, or laws being shifted by a possible 20 million voters who are in the country illegally, just so Miss Hessing can vote?

Update: Since this writing, South Carolina offers free ID for those who can't afford one.

Another example listed on NPR.com

Thelma Mitchell, Nashville, Tenn.
When Thelma Mitchell, a retired state employee, learned that her old employee ID (which was issued by the state and included her photo) wouldn't meet Tennessee's new voter ID law, she went to a motor vehicle office to obtain a valid photo ID. The agency asked her for a birth certificate, but she didn't have one and was denied her request for a new ID.
Mitchell, 93, has never had a birth certificate. She wasn't born in a hospital and was delivered by a midwife, in Alabama in 1918. Birth certificates, particularly for African-Americans in the South, weren't regularly generated at the time. As a result, Mitchell may not be able to vote this year for the first time in decades.
"I got so mad" about being turned away, Mitchell said in an interview. "I was holding my peace to keep from telling him off. So I didn't get to vote."
Another obstacle for Tennessee seniors: The state doesn't put photos on the licenses of drivers over age 65. This practice affects some 30,000 people, according to voting rights advocates in the state.

Whenever I debate someone who is pro obamacare, I am confronted with, “It's not perfect, we can fix it along the way.” Clearly, there are issues with the voter ID laws, but why can't those be worked out as well? While we are at it, why not do something about an inconsistent government which requires ID for one thing, but not another. Maybe, over all, an ID is too often needed.

South Carolina requirements for first time drivers license.

If you are a United States citizen applying for a first time beginner's permit, driver's license or identification card, you must provide documentation showing proof of your identity and citizenship, proof of your social security number and proof of residency in South Carolina. If you are applying for an ID or beginner’s permit, you do not need to provide proof of insurance. If you are applying for a driver’s license, you must provide automobile liability insurance information from an insurance company licensed to do business in South Carolina.

If you are a new resident moving to South Carolina from another state, you must also meet these same requirements.

Below is a list of the various documents needed in order to receive a South Carolina Drivers license. 
Click to download the document below:  MV-93 Checklist for First Time Issuance of Driver's License Beginner's Permit or Identification Card.

Proof of Residency
Applicants MUST provide one of the following and all documents
must show name and S.C. address of applicant, except as noted:

      • School Records - Records must be from S.C. school (current or prior school year).
- Student ID (address not required).
- Report Card.
- Letter or contract from Home Schooling Association.
- Official letter from individual’s school or school district on school or district letterhead.
- Certified transcript.
- Diploma from S.C. school (child has graduated within the last school year - address not required).
      • Out-of-state or in-state tuition bill with applicant’s S.C. physical address.
      • Current employment records (no more than 90 days old). Records must be from S.C. employer or have S.C. address for applicant on records from an out of state employer.
- Letter on employer letterhead.
- Payroll stub showing S.C. withholdings.
      • Current utility bill no more than 90 days old. A utility bill is specific to services for your residence. Examples are electric, water, sewage, cable, and land line phone lines. Cell phone and satellite bills are not acceptable.
      • S.C. Medicaid card
      • Parolee Card or letter from parole officer (no more than 90 days old).
      • Home mortgage monthly statement (no more than 90 days old), or deed.
      • Current S.C. Weapon’s Permit
      • County Tax Bill for home (not vehicle) or Property Tax Receipt for home, not vehicle (current or preceding calendar year)
      • State or Federal Tax records.
- Income tax returns for current or prior year are acceptable including electronic tax file or W2.
- If applicant listed as dependent on SC tax return that is presented as proof of residency, proof applies to dependent also.
      • Current Military Orders detailing active duty assignment in S.C.
      • Current letter from Military Base with the commander verifying duty station in S.C.
      • S.C. bank statement or signed letter (must be on bank letterhead) showing name of applicant and S.C. physical address (no more than 90 days old).
      • Social security check showing name and S.C. physical address of applicant (no more than 90 days old).
      • Insurance documentation:
- Current automobile or life insurance bill (no more than 90 days old – cards or policies are not accepted).
- Current homeowners insurance policy or bill (no more than 90 days old).
- Current health insurance statement (no more than 90 days old – cards or policies are not accepted).
      • Letter from director of S.C. social welfare institution (homeless shelter, battered women’s shelter, halfway house, group home, orphanage, etc.) stating applicant is resident of facility (no more than 90 days old).
      • U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation letter or postmarked U.S. mail with forwarding address label.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship/Proof of Identity and Date of Birth - Applicants MUST provide one of the following:
    • Birth Certificate with birth/file number and registrar’s signature issued by the county or Bureau of Vital Statistics.
    • Birth Certificate from U.S. Territory (Must be translated if not in English) - Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands and U.S. Samoa.
    • Delayed birth certificate – If birth certificate is not issued at time of birth, customer can apply for birth certificate from Bureau of Vital Statistics.
    • Current U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport that has not been expired more than 10 years.
    • Current U.S. Passport Card
    • Certificate of Naturalization -- USCIS Form (N-550 or N-570).
    • U.S. government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
    • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561).

NOTE: If the applicant’s birth certificate shows that he was not born in the United States, the applicant must ALSO provide an additional document from the above list proving U.S. citizenship.

1IMPORTANT: If name has changed since birth, applicant must present all legal documents (i.e., adoption records, marriage certificate or license issued by state/county records office, certificate of naturalization, and court ordered name change) supporting all name changes from the name which appears on the birth certificate or proof of identity to the present.

Proof of Social Security Number (SSN)-
Applicants MUST provide one of the following and
all documents must show SSN:

      • Social Security Card.
      • SSA-1099 - “Survivor Benefit Form”.
      • U.S. Military Photo ID Card when SSN is present on card (active, retired or reservist military status DOD, ID, DD-214).
      • Current military dependent I.D. card.
      • U.S. Uniform Services Identification and Privilege Card (DD 1173) must include photograph.
      • Letter from Social Security Administration (no more than 90 days old).*
      • Medicare letter from Social Security Administration*
      • Medicare Card*
      • Payroll Stub must include employer’s name and applicant’s name.*
      • W-2 Form must include employer’s name, address, and applicant’s name.*
*NOTE – DMV is required to perform online verification.

No comments:

Post a Comment